I fear, my love, you have swallowed something
wicked, twisting deeply to your liver like the
gaily colored ribbons round a maypole.
In your spleen it lurks, sending shoots of pure amnesia-
blazing out in ripe magenta something vile &
dark is crawling ’round your skull.
You didn’t scream, my love, you were a child
when you first felt it landing gently on
your forehead, you just rolled over in your
bed & closed your eyes. When it entered you,
sweet boy, did a shadow cross your dreaming?
Did a cold wind touch your face beneath your skies?
How I prayed for you at night with my knees
on splintered floor beams begging God to save
you for me, you came home with hollowed eyes
and empty heart. In those years I dreamed, dreamed
to reach down deep inside you, longed to grab
that serpentine and yank it out.
This was originally published in my chapbook, “This Dream of Being” in 2005 by Zinn Publishers, Vermont. It resonates with me in this situation, as my underlying intuition is that it is some type of chemical dependency/mental illness and not planned wickedness which caused he whom I called “the love of my life” to betray me.
- Write a Novel Out of Your Dream (socyberty.com)
- >Tiger Tales for Moon Lovers and Dreamers All (deannaelaine3.wordpress.com)
- Perseus and Andromeda (mikesprattle.wordpress.com)
- Fairies and Monsters (osocio.org)
- There’s a Fine Line Between the “Tickle Monster” and Pedophilia (anovelofwar.wordpress.com)
- Go away monsters!… PLEASE? (santosjosh.wordpress.com)
- phantom lovers dream ~ (poetryspassion.wordpress.com)
- Don’t Look Back Or Awaken The Monsters (mrasherkade.wordpress.com)